We invite you to join Valerie Moselle, along with Bridget Puchalsky and Robin Penney, for an in-depth exploration of Modern Yoga.
Now practiced by millions across the globe, yoga has become ever more relevant in today’s fast-paced modern world. In this training, we will thoroughly explore yoga’s current expression in modern western culture, examine why yoga remains relevant to so many, and consider where the practice is going as the century unfolds.
We will examine the history, philosophy, and technique of yoga, as well as hone our teaching skills in a welcoming, experimental, and forgiving environment. It is our hope that students of this training will walk away with the capacity to ignite their students’ innate desire to rejoice, connect, and thrive in an ever-changing world.
What to Expect:
- Create appropriate sequences for beginner, intermediate, and advanced yoga classes.
- Teach basic breathing techniques to calm, brighten, and energize students.
- Guide students through meditation practices that awaken presence and promote energetic balance.
- Physically demonstrate and verbally cue students in a way that inspires presence of mind, body, and spirit.
- Understand important alignment and anatomy principles as they relate to all categories of yoga poses (asana): standing, core, hip openers, forward bends, backbends, twists, arm balances, inversions.
- Adjust students in a way that honors individual needs and body types.
- Alter sequences and poses for students with common injuries (e.g. back pain, high blood pressure, knee injuries, carpel tunnel) and conditions (e.g. pregnancy, arthritis).
- Deepen and enhance your personal yoga practice.
Immersion 1: Posture, Breathing, and Stillness
July 31 – Aug. 4, 2017
Immersion 2: Alignment for Every Body
Nov. 8 – Nov. 12, 2017
Immersion 3: The Science and Philosophy of Yoga
Feb. 19 – 23, 2018
Immersion 4: The Subtle Body
May 9 – 13, 2018
$3250 per participant (monthly payment plan available)
$2950 Early Bird Tuition before May 31, 2017
$812.50 Individual Immersion Rate
$650.00 Individual Immersion- Workshop Only Rate*
Yoga is not a fixed, stagnant system, a practice of absolute truths. It is a living, breathing, evolving entity from which we can learn about our selves, our relationships, our history, our world. And Valerie’s training is not about simply passing on these regurgitated “truths”. It is about inquiry, examination, discourse, and exploration of the holistic view of what we practice, Modern Postural Yoga. It is from a place of deep reverence for + love of the practice that Valerie introduces essential, yet revolutionary, concepts such as: what is your body doing in asana and what are the limits, why has modern postural yoga swept across the country, how can yoga be an agent for transformation, and, maybe most importantly, what is yoga anyway? As a teacher of public yoga classes, she has taught me to breathe, the importance of maintaining a strong yogic community, how to strengthen myself physically + mentally and how to connect to myself emotionally. As my mentor, she has introduced me to diverse perspectives + texts, engaged in countless provocative conversations and continues to encourage me to find my voice in it all.
I met Robin not long after becoming a yoga teacher myself. I realized after practicing with her that I wanted to become “that kind” of a teacher. Robin quickly became both a mentor and a friend! Robin is very educated when it comes to yoga. She has a true understand of the physical body with regards to how it should feel in a yoga pose and will very skillfully take you there by her precise teachings using alignment cues. Robin became well respected in the yoga community as a “teacher’s teacher.” Robin often weaves in some ancient wisdom and storytelling into her teachings to allow her students to experience yoga on a deeper level by reminding them of the roots behind our modern-day approach to yoga. Her organizational skills are greatly reflected in her well-planned and transformative yoga classes.
This training is open to all levels of students interested in deepening their practice and/or teaching yoga.
Sign up to receive bimonthly inspiration on using your yoga + movement practice as a vehicle for strength, calm, and purpose.