Welcome to Foundations of Flow!
This 4-part online series will guide you through a introductory yoga practice inspired by functional movement principles and skillful actions to create balance in the body and mind, married with the artful flow of Vinyasa yoga, for all levels.
The Sanskrit word “Vinyasa” means “to place” (Nyasa) “in a special way (Vi). The Vinyasa practice links movements in the body to the pace and movement of the breath. It is sometimes described as the “breathing system,” or the union of breath and movement that make up the steps of practice.
In an functionally-based vinyasa practice, we flow with the breath, but we also do so with careful awareness of specific actions and setup of the poses so we can get the greatest long-term benefit through our practice, knowing that all bodies are different. The challenging moments in the practice will help your body become stronger and more mobile, and we’ll explore mindfulness tools to pave the way to a more settled and calm life, in body and mind, off the mat!
In this online workshop, we will:
- Explore basic breath work and mindfulness techniques to reduce stress and clear tension
- Refine the basics elements of Vinyasa Yoga, including Sun Salutations
- Experiment with the art of choosing options in poses so you can customize poses for YOUR body and range of motion using props and variations
- Learn key actions in fundamental poses for safety, strength, and mobility
- Practice restorative postures to help you relax and settle in body and mind
This workshop is appropriate for all levels.
It is especially designed for those brand new to yoga, those who have been away from the mat for a while, or students who want to revisit the basics and go a little DEEPER into their existing practice.
The components of this 4-lesson series are:
- Lesson #1 – Set the Foundation with Breath
- Lesson #2 – Linking Movement and Breath
- Lesson #3 – Stepping Forward – A Hip Opening Flow
- Lesson #4 – Fire Up Your Flow
Each lesson includes a 30-45 min yoga practice sequence that will teach a variety of basic yoga postures, and supporting videos that are designed to be short tutorials or quicker practices when you’re short on time or want to revisit something in more detail. All you need is a mat!
Other props like yoga blocks, a bolster, a blanket or a strap can be helpful but are not necessary.
Each class will build upon what is learned in prior sessions.
Gain the confidence and knowledge to build a steady, safe, and relaxing yoga practice that will serve you for a lifetime.